Depth of Field in Photoshop. Create an easy Depth of Field effect in your photo.In this Photoshop tutorial, you are going to use Photoshop’s Lens Blur and a bit of the gradient tool to bring a Depth of Field effect to your image in Photoshop. For those of you that don’t know, the Depth of Field effect in an image is when your image turns blur for the most part except for whatever part of the image you want to stay focused on. It’s quite awesome, really. Again, like most of our tutorials, this one’s quite easy to carry out and should not give you any trouble.
1. Open whatever image you would like to work on in Photoshop. This is the image we will be using for this tutorial:
2. First duplicate the background layer.
We will be working on the duplicate layer.
3. Go to: Filter > Blur > Lens Blur and make the following changes:
4. Set the Foreground and Background color to Black and White, respectively.
5. Select the Gradient tool and modify its settings as shown in the image below:
6. Now add a layer mask to your image.
You are using the gradient tool to blur out the part of the image that you don’t want your image to be focused on. Use the gradient tool in whatever manner you like to blur out the image. You can see in the image above from the Layer’s panel how I have applied the gradient tool.
That’s it, babe.